Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Getting Ready for the New Year


Do you have a Christmas collection? What is it? Reindeer? Snowmen? Santas? Something different? I collect Santas. I just love them and keep them out year round! My collection changes from time to time with some becoming too tattered to enjoy and being discarded but a new one always comes to take it's place

This was my stitching journal for 2008. It is pretty full even though I really didn't get as much done as I had hoped to. I just took alot of extra pictures to fill it up! LOL! Last night I worked on fixing up my stitching journal for 2009, a holiday stitching journal and a journal of special stitches where I put photos of gifts, quilts, hand me downs, just those "special" stitches, ect along with notes about them. I also want to want to fix up a journal for all my beloved collections. I will show these later.

The Legend of the Silver Pine Cone

There once lived a poor family without enough food to eat or enough wood for their fire. The mother decided to go into the forest to search for pine cones. She was planning to use the pine cones to build a fire for her family, and she was also hoping she could sell some of them to get money to buy food.

After walking for hours, the mother finally reached the forest and started gathering pine cones into her basket. Suddenly, she heard a voice say, "Why are you stealing my pine cones?" With that, an elf appeared beside her.

She explained her sad story to the elf. With a crooked smile, the elf said, "Go into the next forest. The pine cones there are much better."

Hesitantly, the mother set off to the next forest, which was even farther away. When she reached it, she was very tired. She leaned against a tree and sat her basket on the ground.

No sooner had she set down her basket, and dozens of pine cones started falling to the ground. Filled with renewed energy, she gathered all the pine cones into her basket and returned home.

Tired again, once she returned home, she set down the basket for a moment on her doorstep. When she looked down at the basket of pine cones, they had all turned to silver.

The family would never be poor again.

Because of this legend, many people believe that a silver pine cone is lucky. It is customary to keep one on your dresser or hearth to make sure good fortune comes your way.

*I would like to find It's A Wonderful Life by the Sampler Girl in my stocking!"

Thank you for coming by to see me today! I enjoy your visits and comments so much! It means alot to me to share my love of collections, photography, needlework, cooking and more with you!

2 comments:

Irene said...

I love reading your legend stories.

Sabine R said...

I really enjoy reading your posts! And I like your idea of keeping a stitching journal!! I've never thought of doing that. Could you maybe give us a wee peek? What do you put in there apart from pics?