Saturday, September 02, 2006

Birds, Cake and White Pants

I am so excited about the "My Ordinary Life" challenge over at Peek! This will be a great extension of our BOM challenges and a wonderful reason for me to look even harder for these everyday moment photos that I mentioned in my previous entry! Something simple yet something very meaningful!

I was informed (before my grocery shopping trip) yesterday that ds and dh were going on a diet! I don't believe in diets. I've seen people have wonderful success with them only to gain all or eveb more of the weight back when they stop the diet routine. I have made my views known to my family (just change eating habits and exercise more) but they continue to use these fad diets from time to time. They don't officially start on it until tomorrow so dh asked me to make his birthday German Chocolate Cake today! LOL! In the past, I have talked to people who have never made this cake because they assume it's just too hard. It's not! And I will share the recipe at the bottom of this entry!

It's Labor Day weekend! It won't be long until I start feeding my birds again! I take a break from June until October to allow them to feed naturally from nature's abundance of berries and insects. Plus it gives my wallet a bit of a break! But I am always reminded by Labor Day weekend to go buy a few bags of food for them so I can be ready! It seems like once Labor Day is over, the holidays are just a blink away so this weekend always reminds me to start stocking up on my holiday baking staples!

Have a great holiday weekend and remember the 60's -- don't wear white after Labor Day! LOL! Shhhhh - I bought a white sweatshirt yesterday! LOL

GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
start with a GC cake mix! LOL! Easy, huh? And no one will know if you don't tell them!

GC ICING RECIPE
1 1/2 cups evaportated milk
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup of margarine
1 1/3 cups of Flaked Coconut
Cornstarch to be added in very small amounts as needed for thickening.

Combine milk, sugar, egg yolks, margarine and vanilla in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat (adding cornstarch as needed) till thick - about 12 minutes. I usually add the cornstarch by teaspoonful until it becomes spreading consistency. Stir in coconut and pecans. Take off heat and beat until thick enough to spread. Can be doubled if needed. Makes approximately 3 cups.

No comments: