Monday, October 29, 2018

Christmas is a Comin'

The holidays are sneaking up on us a little faster each year! I remember how I used to cook all kinds of delicious goodies during the festive season! I don't cook the big dinners anymore. We either go out or order a ready made meal to bring in. The first year we went out for Thanksgiving I was floored at how many other people had the same idea to let someone else do the cooking!

I have never really cooked on Christmas. We used to go down to my in-laws so the boys could show them what Santa brought. I have always cooked the week before Christmas making all kinds of appetizer, snacky foods to set out and we would munch on those all day with plenty left over for a few more days! Biscuits with ham or sausage, chex mix, cheese balls and crackers, cream cheese bread and so much more! A big pan of BBQ from our favorite BBQ restaurant is always a must!

Even though I don't cook the family sit down holiday meals anymore, I still like to bake the extra goodies. I thought it would be fun to share some of our favorites with you this season.

The first one I will share is a recipe that I have had in my file box since we were first married. I have never taken a picture of it in all the years I have made it so I borrowed a picture from Pinterest. It is really pretty if you use pink champagne and something fun to pass out to family and friends. 



For those of you (like me) who don't drink, the alcohol continent will cook off and just leave the flavor. I don't recommend putting it on plain toast. UGH. But it goes nicely with a slice of pound cake or another sweet bread or cake.

CHAMPAGNE JELLY
1 1/3 c. champagne or wine
3 cups sugar
1/2 bottle of Certo liquid pectin

In a 3 quart pot stir champagne and sugar (stirring constantly). Boil for 1 minute. Stir in pectin and take off heat. Pour into small decorative jars and seal with a thin layer of Gulf sealing wax.


I took a break from my stitching for a while while the Grumpy Ol Gazer and I worked on getting painting done outside before cold weather takes over. Just to make it clear, the Grumpy Ol Gazer aka my husband is so named because he is an amateur astronomer. I wanted to make that clear! LOL.

Until next time, may you have simple days and an uncluttered heart.

2 comments:

marly said...

My favorite is jalapeno jelly over cream cheese on a Triscuit. I've never heard of your recipe, may have to try it.

Robin in Virginia said...

Your jelly looks good. I chuckled over your husband's nickname.