Saturday, October 20, 2007

That Darn Bug!


Quilts. I love them. I collect them. I make them. But I put my needle down about 5 years ago thinking that I had taken my last stitch as a quilter! GASP! Upon cleaning out some seldom used closets, I ran across 5 quilt tops yet to be finished off and was bitten by the "bug" once more! Fabric, batting, cuddling up in a quilt on a cold night, fat quarters....... and I began to drool! LOL! So many quilts I still want to make!

Then my little voice of reason chimes in to remind me of all the cross stitch projects currently in progress. No problem-o. I need to restock my fabric stash and get some other needed supplies. There is time for both!

Since I only hand quilt, it takes quite a while for me to complete a quilt so I prefer to make the tops and then send it off to be quilted. The ladies do a fantastic job, the price is reasonable and I have more time to create!

11 comments:

BeckySC said...

I agree...time for both!! I used to quilt, but have not done so in a very long time! I love quilts and everything about them!! My mom and best friend still quilt and I think it is a most wonderful art that should be preserved!!

Anonymous said...

This quilt is lovely and that sounds like a perfect plan, let someone else do the finishing. There is no harm in that.

Joy said...

That is a great quilt! Very scrappy and vintage looking. I also used to quilt and gave it up about 10 years ago. But I still have bins and bins of fabric! I just know that one day I will use it again.

Unknown said...

LOL! I barely have enough time to stitch by hand. I can't imagine quilting by hand. Have you ever considered renting a long arm machine? Very near where we live is a company that owns several long arm machines. They rent them by the hour. If I ever do any quilts larger than baby quilts, I will quilt it on someone else's long arm.

mainely stitching said...

Hand piecing the tops and having the quilting part "outsourced" sounds like a very clever solution. :) Love the picture you posted.

Cheryl said...

Oh yes ive been bit by the quilting bug too....unfortunately it has left me with much less time for stitching though. I cant believe you do everything by hand! Thats impressive. My quilting teacher does the same...she prefers the look of hand sewn quilts. I must admit though..after my tablerunner is complete i plan on using my machine :)

Carol said...

Oh, how I would LOVE to be a quilter!!

Mary Ann said...

Very pretty quilt! I think you have an excellent plan!!

Wendy said...

There just are not enough hours in the day! But we have to find the time for all of our passions somehow. I love quilting too, but I have to admit I do machine quilting, not hand. I have enough stitching in hand to do!

Anonymous said...

Now that's an excellent idea... I can make tops till the cows come home but I never seem to get around to the actual quilting part LOL

Yours is beautiful!

Jane said...

Great idea. I like making the tops much more than the actual quilting. Alot of people have that part done by someone else. I am looking forward to seeing it done!