Thursday, January 23, 2020

Trying to Catch Up

I was able to get in some stitching this week but not as much as I would have liked because of doctor appointments and other errands. Virtuous Woman is coming along though no matter how slow.



My infusions are in full swing. I am at a new infusion center so it will take me a while to learn the layout of the place. I thought about a special start for this but I already have several things going so I decided to just take Virtuous Woman in and work on her during the infusion hours afterall, she is the same inspirational theme stitch that I like to work on during infusions.

I even made a start on Quaker Bluebirds. I think I will re-name it Quaker Redbirds hence the color change. I am using 18 count Aida Irish Cream by My Vintage Needlearts over at Etsy. The threads are Gentle Art Sampler in Mulberry. It's a small start but it gives you an idea of how the thread color will look on the fabric.



I also pulled out Pomegranate Santa by Plum Street Samplers over the weekend and started on it. I am using the called for threads and I am using Evergreen by Fiberlicious fabrics. Maybe I should get the nasties more often! After I feel better, I seem to get a good bit done! LOL

I fought the urge but I just could not contain myself! I ordered another BBD design with threads. Oh Joyous Day is just too drool worthy to pass up! Like Little Birds by BBD, it is out of stock at the moment but they will send it as soon as more arrive. I am fine with that!



Who doesn't love a pan of steaming hot cornbread? While it is still good and hot, I like to slice a piece, slather it with butter and drizzle some honey over it. After it cools off, I have my beloved glass of cornbread with cold milk! Something I have enjoyed since I was a child. It makes a great side or an even better snack!


Ingredients

  • 2 cups self rising cornmeal mix not just plain cornmeal
  • 2 eggs or 1 extra large egg
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil for the skillet if using cast iron
  • 1 3/4 cups buttermilk or regular milk Start with 1 cup of liquid if you are using regular milk and add the rest as necessary

Instructions

  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
  • If you are using cast iron, place the 1/4 cup oil in the bottom of a 9″ skillet and place over high heat on your stovetop while you make the batter.
  • Pour the cornmeal into a bowl and add the oil, egg, and buttermilk.
  • Mix until combined and drop a small amount into your skillet.
  • If it sizzles immediately, go ahead and pour in your batter to within 1 inch of the top. If you want a thinner cornbread, just don’t pour in as much.
  • Transfer the skillet from the stove top to the hot oven.
  • Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden and set.

Notes

If you are not using cast iron, grease your pan with nonstick cooking spray and do not preheat the pan. Bake as directed.

Until next time may you have simple days and an uncluttered heart.

2 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Your Virtuous Woman stitch is coming along nicely and you have made a good start on the Quaker bird piece. Hope this round of infusions go smoothly for you! You can have my slab of cornbread; it isn't something that I care for. Have a good rest of the week, Sherry!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Nice work on the Sampler and I love the Mulberry thread for Quaker Redbirds,