Friday, January 17, 2020

It's A Cobbler Kind of Day!

No stitching this week. All this up and down, back and forth weather has made a lot of people (including me) just feel cruddy!
 
I put aside a few hours and straightened up my little stitching corner. The Grumpy Ol Gazer helped by putting up a new wall lamp over my stitching chair! I even bought a new Hardwicke Manor Hoop. Not as big as the other but I still love it. Anytime I can find them at a good price, I am game!
 
Most of the family will leave my cast iron cookware alone. One day I noticed my beloved cast iron skillet was GONE! I searched the kitchen up and down. I even made the rounds asking each person if they knew anything about its disappearance. After a year had passed, I was cleaning out some lower seldom used cabinets and (low and behold) hidden way in the dark back corner was my skillet! I pulled it out to discover it had rusted over the unused time but no problem! I cleaned it up and re-seasoned it. It is now in full use again with strict rules that NO ONE (but me or the Grumpy Ol Gazer)  touches my cast iron for any reason!


 
When I went to the grocery store and saw berries out, I knew it was time to start making cobblers! It seemed only fitting that the recipe of the week should be a Cast Iron Blueberry Cobbler. No, you don't have to use Cast Iron to make this but I don't need a big excuse to use it! Talk about some good eating! Just remember that with any cobbler to have vanilla ice cream on hand!


 
Ingredients
 
1 cup flour 1/2 cup butter 1 1/2 cups oats 1 1/2 cups milk 1 cup sugar 2-3 cups blueberries (fresh) 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 1 tsp vanilla extract & 1 tsp lemon extract
 
Preheat oven to 350. Place your stick of butter in the cast iron skillet or pan and allow to melt in oven while combining the rest of your ingredients.
 
(Optional) Place blueberries in a bowl and toss with sugar.
 
In another large bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Then add the oats, sugar and milk.
 
Add vanilla and lemon extract. Stir all until combined.
 
Once the butter in skillet has melted, pour in the mixture and level out. Add your blueberries on top of mixture. I like to use 2 or more cups. If you did not sweeten your fruit, you can sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar over the berries.
 
Place skillet back in 350 oven and bake 40-50 minutes. I usually bake 45 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
 

Until next time may you have simple days and an uncluttered heart.

4 comments:

butterfly said...

looks so yummy , must try it .
Have a good weekend.

Robin in Virginia said...

Glad you found your skillet! That cobbler looks incredible. I hope you have a good weekend, Sherry!

marly said...

Thanks. I really want an iron skillet but with the smooth cooktop was advised against it. I have an old gas range in the basement so .... I'm buying a skillet!

Hazel said...

Looks gorgeous! I remember getting a peach cobbler recipe from the blogs some years ago and I haven't made it for ages. Mmmmmm xx