Sunday, May 15, 2011

Stormy Weather

Another strong storm hit our area last week. It woke me up in the middle of night with extremely loud thunder and the room was lit up with all the intense lightening. The winds were bringing down trees and doing some major damage to the area but luckily not to our house or property. The weather had said we would get large hail again and it seemed that towns all around us did but it skipped by us. Good news.

Harold has told me about a family of geese that comes back every year to nest at their plant. I love all the stories he tells me about them. He said the guys can't understand why they come down there to nest and I told him it was because the geese know the spot and they consider the guys down there as family. Moma goose had four babies this year. Harold was at work during the storm and said the wind was blowing so hard that two of the babies were lost in the wind. He saw one of them trying to get back to moma and the wind was so hard, the poor little thing could not fight the strong wind. It kept falling and blowing backwards. He carried the baby over to the area where the moma had taken the other two babies for safety. Later another guy found the fourth baby under an engine and carried it to the same spot. A family reunited. I told Harold "see, she knows you guys care and considers you family". DH was afraid that moma goose would reject the two lost babies after being handled but he told me later that they are all together and doing fine.

There were several more storms this past weekend but nothing too bad until lightning hit our front yard! It didn't hit close enough to damage anything but the sound of it hitting was unreal! It even set off the smoke alarm. Some of our neighbors saw the flash of fire it created and ran outside to see if all was well too. That makes the second time lightning has hit our yard! What a scare. Did I mention that I am getting really tired of all these storms?

There were periods of sun over the weekend and during one I sat out on the deck to watch the birds. The warmth of the sun felt glorious to my cold natured side and I began to drift off as I soaked it all in until I was rudely (and painfully) awakened by a sneaky wasp that found his way up under my shirt and must have panicked (or not liked what he saw) when he couldn't find his way back out so he did the natural thing and really let me have it with his stinger - right in the stomach! Leaping to my feet, I was jumping around and yelling like I was doing some odd ritual dance when I saw him fly out from under my shirt and go on his merry way. At least he was happy.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get a lot of stitching done lately. Life has been too hectic with DH on these odd hours. I plan to pick up some stitching again once everything (or at least a good chunk of it) gets back to normal around here again. Whenever that may be!

Thanks so much for stopping by. I hope to have some fun stitching news next time I post so be patient with me. Until then, may you have simple days.

6 comments:

Littlebit said...

Oh my goodness, Sherry!! Holy Cow! You have really been getting it from all sides, haven't you??? We had lightening strike our back yard, so I know what it sounds like...like a bomb going off outside your window. It fried a couple of things, so we since have whole-house surge protection.
I loved the story about the baby geese! How sweet is that? :)
I hope things settle down for you soon..omg..I cracked up at you saying that wasp might not have liked what he saw! LOLLLLLLL!

Margaret said...

Gosh, these storms are just too much! I'm glad you didn't sustain any damage this time around at least. Hope things settle down for you soon.

Jeanne said...

What's with all these storms - I have to look and see where you are located. Luckily we have been having glorious May weather and our hot summer has been wonderfully delayed a bit. Sorry you got stung by a wasp - OUCH! I think you and Harold need something good to happen now. Glad he and his coworkers saved the little baby geese - DH and I have saved several birds in our yard and placed them back ih their nests but not always sure what happens to them after that.

Siobhán said...

Aww, that's so good to hear about the mama geese and her family.

I'm glad that you didn't sustain any damage with the storms. Talk about batten down the hatches!

Have a good weekend!

Shelleen said...

I am glad that mamma goose and her babies are ok.

ExecutiveTeen said...

You were somewhat lucky.Treasure that.Please read my blog too.
http://touchinglifestories.blogspot.com