Thursday, July 02, 2009

Gardens and Needles


I have psoriasis. Not a fun topic but I have it non the less and a pretty bad case of it. I have had it since I was a young child and found no comfort back then when the doctors told me that my children probably wouldn't get it! Of course I am glad now, though. Any hoo, years ago I was in an experimental program for a new medication being used to control this beast. I cleared up -- completely! I wore tank tops, swim suits, dresses, shorts and more with no worry! I chose to leave the program after a year because it was experimental and some of the side effects were pretty spooky to me. Also I was not allowed to get pregnant while taking it and we wanted children. So naturally the psoriasis broke back out.

Many moons later, I go to see my rheumatologist for my aching bones and she diagnoses me as having psoriatic arthritis and puts me back on this same medication! Only now it is no longer experimental and they feel since I handled it well last time I will do wonderfully this time also. I will be clear again! I am having a blast look through catalogs at shorts and dresses and short sleeve blouses!

Oh and it is obviously helping my arthritis too! Since I began taking this medication, I have had not one problem with my hands, fingers and wrists that were always swelling and very tender to touch. I can stitch, garden and even open a jar of mayonaisse with no problems again! Yea! Two benefits!

Speaking of gardening, our tomatoes are out and a couple have some! This year, I decided to mix it up a bit and bought several Heirloom tomato plants also! And speaking of cross stitch, I have been working on my WIP alot more lately so I hope to have some real progress to post next time!

Thank you all for your get well wishes. Both DH and myself are feeling much better and hope to be able totally over this by the time our meds run out and then we schedule a trip to go see my Dad again!

Until next time, may you have simple days and an uncluttered heart! Thanks for stopping by!

11 comments:

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

I know from my own "atopic dermatitis" (I have it on my eyelids and elbows - since childhood) that it totally STINKS! I hope that you are totally clear in no time :o)
Your tomatoes look GORGEOUS!

Carol said...

Isn't modern medicine amazing--so glad you're getting some relief! And I'm jealous of your tomatoes--up here in cold, rainy PA our gardens are way behind where they should be this summer...

imnverted said...

Psoriasis is prevalent in my family. Loves to skip a generation or so. Currently my Dad has it, I have eczema as does my youngest (who may get psoriasis later). I am happy to hear there is something out there he will be able to try to combat this condition.

Glad to hear it helps you as well as it does!

Kathy said...

Since I too have psoriasis (mild, Thank God) and ecxema as well as arthritis I feel your pain. I'm really glad that you found something that works for you.
Your tomatoes look yummy.

Margaret said...

OMG! I've never heard of arthritis connected to psoriasis! I'm so glad the meds are helping with your arthritis and also clearing up your psoriasis! How great is that!!! Yay! I'm glad you and your DH are on the mend as well. Keep it up! :D

Shelleen said...

my coworker has it and won't wear shorts and is careful about keeping her arms covered up as well. So what is the med?

Carolyn NC said...

Glad to hear you're getting a reprieve again from your psoriasis. Tomatoes look fabulous!

Jennifer Ann Fox said...

I have had ezcema all my life and it's not fun when it flares. when I was a little girl it was so bad they took me for radiation--UV light treatments which helped.
I notice that it has flared now because of stress.
So glad your medicine is working well. Tomatoes look really good!!!!!
Jennifer

http://www.feathersinthenest.blogspot.com/

Siobhán said...

I'm glad you're getting some relief! My BIL suffers terribly from psoriasis, has a very bad case of it. The drs actually recommended that he go on 'sun holidays', as they say here, since the sun helps it. They live in a very rainy part of Ireland.

Your tomatoes look great!

Joy said...

I hope you continue to have success with this new medication, Sherry. I always find it amazing when a drug prescribed for one condition actually ends up helping another. Whatever it is, may it continue to work!

And those tomatoes are beautiful!

Brigitte said...

It's great that you have a medication now that helps you on both fronts, with arthritis as well as with psoriasis. Must be such a huge relief.