Friday, November 01, 2019

Emelia

Those of you who have been reading my blog for a while know I had worked on Mother's Tree by Lavender and Lace. I worked steady and it seemed I never got past that tree. I don't know if it was the one color stitch after stitch or just frustration but I started to get terrible headaches every time I worked on it.



I was at my LNS picking up some framing and I mentioned this to the shop owner. She told me "make it your own". I thought on this for a while and I have decided how to do it. No tree but just as meaningful with the record of women in my family. A very simple design.

This has been a very hard piece for me to start. I just have this horrible feeling that I will stitch it, have it framed and BOOM, I will start finding new ancestors that should be on the tree! I have decided to make a detailed list with any extra information (and new mothers that should pop up) printed out and attached to the back after it is framed.

I am going to use the same alphabet but I am changing the colors and NO TREE (did I say that before? LOL)  I am going to stitch her on 18 count Aida Irish Cream from MyVintageNeedlearts over at Etsy. This is beautiful Aida fabric but it is sort of hard to tell that it is lightly mottled by my pictures.



Emelia Clarke Poer is the only woman in the tree with both her maiden and married name. The other women will only have their maiden name. Their daughter's maiden name is the mothers married name. She is my maternal 5th Great Grandmother.



Emelia (Milly) was born in 1791 in Lancaster, SC. She married Salvadore Poer on December 10, 1810. They were married in Lancaster, SC. After they married, they moved to Burnsville, NC. I looked and looked for Emelia's parents but birth certificates were not required back then. Most people just used the Family Bible.

Emelia and Salvadore had 4 children. Three girls and the youngest was a boy.

Emelia died in 1858 before her husband (who later remarried). Her grave is either lost or destroyed but there is no record where she was buried other than in Burnsville, NC.

I have some longer names coming up and I am not sure if my fabric will be wide enough. I will try to fit them in the way I had planned but I may have to shorten one or two. Either way, I will have the full info sheet on the back. Who knows, maybe I can finish this piece up by the end of the year. That would make me happy enough that I would not be upset about my lack of finishes in 2019!

Until next time may you have simple days and an uncluttered heart.

2 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

Love your fabric choice! So very pretty! I think making it your own minus the tree is a good idea. Enjoy your weekend!

marly said...

Great idea to add information if necessary to the back. The lettering is beautiful.