Friday, April 08, 2011

Long Post and Pictures

Thank you all for your comments of concern for DH. We both appreciated them. He has had several follow up visits with various doctors since coming back home and the news isn't as good as he had hoped. It looks like some changes are in our future.

Unfortunately, this year has not started off with the stitching bang I had planned. According to my list for the year, I should have several finishes behind me by now. Not yet. Does that mean I'm giving up? No way. I just won't have the number of finishes for the year I had hoped for but they will still mean just as much to me. I will continue to get my "fix" by watching the progress of all of your work in blogland. The first part of an old song by Dionne Warwick keeps popping into my head when I see my poor stash sitting on the shelf "Wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin' Plannin' and dreamin'......" But, life happens.

Earlier in the week, we were hit by that horrible storm that moved through 20 states and left so much destruction. The day before the storm the wind was so strong, we could hardly walk outside in it. It felt like we using all our strength just to get from the house to the car. We came home later that day to see our roof in shambles because of the strong winds. Later that night the storm moved through. It didn't last long but the winds sounded like a freight train rolling through the neighborhood. Power transformers were blowing up all around us lighting up the sky. Trees were falling like dominoes and landing across the roads on power lines pulling them down, on cars, big store signs blowing over, taking out stop lights and well, you get the idea.



Our section of town was hit the hardest and people are comparing this storm to a mini Hurricane Hugo. We were without power for over 50 hours (also water, gas and phone for much of that time) and there were power companies from many eastern states called in to help. It was not unusual to see 15 or more power trucks gathered in a spot working on lines. Sirens were in the air constantly from ambulances, fire trucks and police.



There was no time for stitching during the outage because we stayed busy getting things done before it was time to light the candles and pull out the flashlights for the night. It made me wonder how people managed to find time to make those beautiful and detailed samplers so many years ago.



DH had to make another trip to hospital during the outage because he not been able to use his breathing equipment as required. It was early in the morning before there was any type of outside light to help matters and all I had was a cell phone and a not so bright flashlight. Not the best of conditions but we got him there and luckily they didn't have to keep him overnight. Even a lot of his follow up visits with doctors concerning the previous trip to the hospital were canceled because they also had no power. Once the power came back on, it was touch and go for awhile. A power line pole caught on fire at the top causing a lot of short bursts of power then another black out but only for a short while this time. Once the power was stable we each headed for the item we missed the most. For me, it was the coffee maker. I can drink instant but once I got my first drip coffee maker, I was spoiled so that had been sorely missed and that first cup tasted oh so good!



So for now we have power and our fingers crossed it stays on! After the first 24 hours without power, it stops being an adventure and becomes nothing more than a nuisance. Dull days, I miss you! Thank you for stopping by again!

11 comments:

Hazel said...

Good news that you have power now. Hope things start to improve for you all soon. xx

Margaret said...

Oh good heavens! You definitely didn't need that storm and power outage on top of everything else! I hope your DH's health improves, poor thing. Also that the power stays on!

Deb said...

Thank goodness you have the power on now. I hope that your husband's health continues to improve!!

Littlebit said...

Oh my gosh! It sounds and looks like you had tornadoes! I'm so sorry about all of this.
I, too, have wondered how those girls of old stitched nearly in the dark, but I guess since they did not have electricity that they didn't have any thing to compare it to. We are so fortunate..and a bit spoiled. I would be a basket case without my coffee. Hope your DH is getting better.

Von said...

In the 24 years we've been in this house there has been only one major power outage that I could not have my morning coffee! Talk about an emergency, Lol! I sent my DH out to find a 7-11 with power to get me some. Here's hoping that there will be a quick recovery and no more severe weather!!

barbara said...

Yipes! Stay safe!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

What an ordeal! Even one evening without power is a royal PITA - much less 50 hours. I hope your DH is doing better.

Brigitte said...

Oh my, I hope that everything will be fixed soon. Stitching with bad light or just candle light would be impossible for me.
Hopefully things will improve for your husband very soon.

Siobhán said...

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the news you'd hoped for in regards to your DH's health. Hang in there! Please God things will improve. As for your stitching, it doesn't matter how many finishes you have, what matters is that you enjoy the process. Take care of yourself, too!

Positive Thoughts said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carolyn NC said...

Hope that DH will be getting more encouraging news next time and feels better. Glad the storm is over and you guys are ok!